Guardianships and Special Needs Trusts

Do you have a special situation that requires pre-planning when an elderly person can no longer care for himself or herself?  Are you responsible for a special needs child about to turn 18?   Guardianships and special needs trusts are an effective way to care for an elderly person, a special needs person, or an otherwise incapacitated person.

Individuals who are incapacitated due to a medical condition such as dementia, Alzheimer’s, or a variety of other debilitating illnesses can be properly cared for through proper planning.

Realizing that your parent is no longer able to make financial, legal, or other important decisions is devastating.  COSTA Law Offices will advise families of the options and support services available.  These programs can help ensure that your loved one's needs are met, they receive good care, and that their finances are managed appropriately.

Guardianships for Special Needs Individuals

When children with special needs turn 18, they are legally adults. Guardianships for a special needs child can ensure your child's health and finances are taken care of properly and will allow the child to continue to receive appropriate government benefits.  Establishing a guardianship requires filing a petition in Orphans' Court to have a person “judged” to be incapacitated.  The guardianship then allows for proper steps to be taken to ensure ongoing care and receipt of benefits.

Pet Trusts

Many people regard their beloved pets as members of the family.  What happens to your pet when you die or become disabled?   Did you know that the Court considers your pet to be personal property? Unless you make provisions for your pet at your death, it will be distributed the same as your other personal property. However, there are innovative ways to provide for your “non-human family members”.

"Lynn has been very thorough with her explanations on how everything works. The way she explains things makes it easy to understand. She also take the time to show you the things that you might be m..."
(View Entire Testimonial)
~Matt S.
View More Testimonials


home | the firm | practice areas | getting started | for clients | resources | testimonials | contact us

web design by Scarlet's Web LLC